Welcome to the Womena MENA Bossladies Community!
We are excited that you have taken the first step to join our Community by signing up for our Slack channel. The MENA Bossladies Community exists to support, connect, and promote female leadership in business and tech in MENA.
- Update your profile to share about yourself with the MENA Bossladies Community. For more information about updating your profile, click here.
- Introduce yourself to the #connect channel. We encourage you to include: your name, company, country, and what you are looking forward to as a member of the MENA Bossladies Community.
- Read our Community Guidelines to learn how we intend for this Community to be a welcoming, collaborative, open and safe space for all members.
- If you are new to Slack, familiarize yourself with how it works. Slack has some great resources for learning how to use their platform, such as this short video.
- Engage in ongoing conversations or start a new conversation on the various slack channels: #connect, #events, #news, #opportunities, #random, and #resources (Read below for more information about the purpose of each channel!)
- Stay updated with Slack! You don’t want to miss all of the conversation on Slack, so make sure to set your notifications so that you receive alerts. You can download Slack on your iOS, Android, or Windows phone device to get notifications while you’re on the go, or you can sign up for email alerts for your @mentions and direct messages. Read more here to learn about setting up your notification preferences.
How can I activate on Slack?
If you know of news and opportunities relevant for the Bossladies Community in your home country or the MENA region, you are encouraged to share it on Slack.
Know any fabulous women in business or tech? Nominate them to be featured!
Each month we will feature a fabulous Bosslady who is transforming the tech industry in MENA. You can nominate someone or yourself by filling out this form.
Contribute to Womedia!
Have a great idea for an article? We are now accepting original content to be featured on the Womedia platform. To learn more, email email@example.com.
Refer a Bosslady!
Know of other female tech entrepreneurs in the MENA region who would benefit from joining the Bossladies Community? You can invite them to join by sharing this link!
What’s up with Channels?
If you’ve never heard of channels, imagine these as different discussion threads.
Once you have been added to the MENA Bossladies Slack Channel, you are automatically added to several channels. Womena’s Community Manager will also invite you to join the country channel(s) most relevant to your profile.
|#connect||This channel is for introductions and engaging with other Bossladies!|
|#events||This channel is for sharing events – whether it be your own event or one that you think others will be interested in. The Womena team will also regularly share events (i.e. conferences, workshops, trainings, webinars) that are relevant to the community.|
|#news||Are there interesting stories, articles, or other information you want to share? Post it here!|
|#opportunities||This is a space for sharing opportunities – whether it be a job opportunity, survey for feedback, pitch competition, or looking for speakers.|
|#random||This is a place for flimflam, faffing, hodge-podge or jibber-jabber you’d prefer to keep out of more focused channels.|
|#resources||Looking for legal, tech and other business related advice? This is the place where we will share related information — we encourage you to contribute too. If you write or read an interesting blog, share it here!|
|#country-X||This channel is exclusively for Bossladies in a specific country. Womena will be posting information relevant to specific countries in the relevant channels, and this is also a great place to share localized information!|
You also have the option to join other channels by clicking on “Channels.” Once you have clicked on this, you will be able to scroll through the list and manually add yourself to any channels of interest. Read more here to learn about exploring channels.
Note: Anything posted to a public channel is browsable and searchable by all members, except for Guests of the MENA Bossladies Community (i.e. guest speakers).
How do I connect with others privately?
One of the cool features of the Slack communities is that you can direct message (DM) any member of the community – including the Womena team! You can DM just one person or up to 8 other people (9, including you!). Direct Messages are private, ad hoc conversations and are best for quick discussions, like discussing the week’s latest news or making plans to meet for coffee. All direct messages are visible and searchable only to members included in the DM.
Read more here for information about Direct Messaging.
What’s up with @mentions?
How do you call the attention of a specific member(s) on Slack? By typing “@ + name of the person(s) you are trying to reach,” the person mentioned will be notified. There are two ways to use this feature: choose from a list of members or type an @mention. Read more here for information about mentions.
How can I invite other Bossladies to join the Community?
YOU are the ambassadors for the value of this Community, so we encourage you to spread word about the Bossladies Community.
Any interested member can join by filling out the form at womena.com/menabossladies. Our Community Manager reviews applications regularly to review all applications.
How can I engage with the Womena team?
The Womena team is always here to answer any questions you may have about the Bossladies Community or our overall programs. Since you’re on Slack, we encourage you to send us a DM.
You can also contact us anytime via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.